Dog saves owner’s life by stopping her from choking
A dog saved her owner’s life as she choked on chicken – by bounding in and hitting her on the back.
Sheba, a Japanese akita, was asleep in the kitchen when Aysha Perry got a 4cm (1.5in) piece of meat stuck in her throat.
The pet awoke as the tattoo artist gasped for air in the living room – and her protective instincts took over.
‘She whacked me on the back with one of her huge front paws and the piece of chicken flew out,’ said Aysha, 18. ‘I’ve got to say it hurt a little as she is such a huge dog – but I can’t really complain.
‘I was at home on my own and genuinely thought I was going to die.
‘It’s a good job she has such big paws otherwise I don’t think it would have dislodged the chicken.’
Aysha, of Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, was eating in front of the TV when she choked on Friday.
Her flatmate was out and she was groping on the floor for her phone to fetch help when Sheba stepped in.
She’s since freed the four-year-old’s paw from a fence during a walk – but still feels in debt to her pet.
‘After the chicken came out, Sheba began licking my face to make sure I was OK,’ she said. ‘She could obviously sense I was in distress.’